Do you love eating smoked chicken and wish to try cooking once at home but do not cook often? Want to learn how to smoke chicken easily? Then use the following easy tips to get started.
Irrespective of the number of times you have cooked, you can cook a delicious chicken in the electric smoker with the help guide. The electric smokers make cooking meat simple without even compromising on the tender taste. You will be able to cook the best smoked chicken just like a professional with the list of 5 helpful essentials that are mentioned below:
Essentials Tips to learn how to smoke chicken?
Choose the most appropriate smoke:
When you decide to grill & smoke the chicken, you can get the best smoked chicken only when you select the right wood chips. Make certain you pick the wood pellets that compliment the bird such as cherry, apple; pecan and mesquite are the flavours that work well.
- If you like a bacony taste, then Hickory is the wood type to choose as it has a sweet yet strong taste. In case you are smoking a small chicken then do not add too many hickory chips because then it may give a bitter flavor to the chicken and this is something you certain do not want. Combining hickory wood with the cheery one will provide a pleasant flavor as well. This is one popular combination used by many.
- When compared to hickory, maple has a milder flavor but burns hot and slowly just like hickory. Maple is known to be the sweetest of all the woods.
- Applewood, as the name says is a fruity and mild wood that goes well with chicken as well as other birds. This kind of wood takes some hours to infuse the meat.
- Peach wood gives a light and sweet flavor to the chicken. This type of wood burns hot and long unlike the ones mentioned above. In case you are planning to use this kind, and then ensure that you use fresh cut wood to get the best flavor. The reason behind this is that it loses its flavor fast after it is cut.
- Cherry wood tastes great when combined with hickory and is the most sought after flavors for smoked chicken. This combination can give the chicken a fiery taste without using the wood pellets charcoal but adding the chips is recommended for the additional flavor. Unlike most other wood chips, the cherry wood burns hot and long.
Spatchcock the chicken:
Many people prefer smoking the whole chicken, but a better option is to cut it into a half. This is done to increase the area of absorbing smoke. Before cutting it into a half, ensure that your smoker has sufficient smoking area. How does the process of spatchcocking the chicken go?
Firstly, you need to take out the backbone of the chicken. Make certain you are using a sharp knife and cut the chicken in one go. Cut the chicken half an inch from the bird’s spine side up till the tail from its neck. After you have removed the backbone, spread out the bird. With the use of pairing knife, cut and take out the diamond shape breast bone. After you remove the breastbone, the chicken will easily lie flat, as you wanted. That’s it; now it is time for the brine!
Brine the bird:
One of the toughest things to do to have a delicious smoked chicken is to brine. Chicken is a leaner meat, and it is hard to smoke it without losing its tenderness, flavor, and juiciness. This process is done to ensure that its qualities remain intact before smoking.
The procedure includes the following steps:
- Soak the chicken in a gallon of water and add a cup of kosher salt. The salt will break down its muscles and improves moisture absorption.
- To ensure that the chicken absorbs maximum flavors, add wine or fruit juices to the brine.
Drying the chicken:
After you brine the chicken, before you put the bird into the electric smoker, letting it dry for almost an hour is necessary. When the surface is dry, the smoke can stick to the bird in a better manner.
Getting the right temperature:
Getting the chicken fully cooked is the key to a deliciously tasty smoked chicken. Most electrical smokers have set it and forget it technique to smoke a chicken. All you need to do is insert the probe into the chicken and then set it at 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
After the set temperature is reached, the smoker will discontinue cooking and then put it on warm mode. Later, set the smoker on 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep one thing in mind that the cook time will depend on the size of the chicken. Do not just follow the instruction. Usually, 30 to 45 minutes time is required to cook one pound.
Bonus tip to make your smoked chicken taste deliciously lip smacking
Add the right seasonings:
This is something that most people forget after the brine. There is no doubt in the fact that the brine will give them the delicious taste but add the right combination of seasonings can give an amazing flavor to the chicken. Before you smoke a chicken, a spicy rub to it can help you get a deeper
Before you smoke a chicken, a spicy rub to it can help you get a deeper flavor. Also, adding the spicy and sweet barbeque sauce during as well as the after the process can give out a burst full of flavors in your mouth. Most smoked chicken dishes that you eat in the restaurants are cooked with this method, and the bonus tip always works, trust that point.
In case you are looking out for a recipe for smoked chicken, there are numerous recipes online that you can check. Also, you can combine the tips that you get in the video on how to smoke chicken pieces with the tips mentioned above. Also, there is a video link below that will help you to start with the cooking.
Do you have any better tip for those who are looking for how to smoke chicken? If yes, then do not forget to share it with us in the comment section below.